"Glimpse of History" Photographs
These are the historical Plainfield photographs that have appeared in the
Union County edition of the Star Ledger's "Glimpse of History" series.
Elks Club Bar, B.P.O.E. 885, Sunday, May 13, 1945.
(appeared on May 8, 2016)
Watering Hole for Elks in Plainfield
The Elks bar on Watchung Avenue in Plainfield is shown in this photo from 1945.
The Plainfield Lodge of Elks, No. 885 ((Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks) was founded in 1867 as 'The Jolly Corks' and then was renamed the 'Order of Elks' in 1868, although the national affiliation was not in existence until 1903.
The original meeting location was at Red Men's Hall, in the old Stillman building, at 212 W. Front Street. In 1913, the Elks moved to 116 Watchung Avenue. The organization is still in existence and is currently location at 473 Somerset Street.
Photo ID: C22128 - Part of the Paul R. Collier Photograph Collection.
View Past Photos