Volunteer Opportunities in Local History
Archival Student Internship at Plainfield Public Library
Plainfield Public Library welcomes archival interns to work in the Local History, Genealogy & Special Collections Department during the spring and summer 2014 semesters.
Under the direction of the Head of Local History, the spring / summer 2014 intern will work closely with the Library’s renown, Charles H. Detwiller, Jr. Architectural Drawings Collection. The student intern will assist with the review and inventory of the blueprints and line drawings, many of which date back to the late 1800s. They will also help with data validation of existing microfilm and digital files.
The internship program is designed to provide practical, hands-on experience to students pursuing a graduate-level degree in Library Sciences, American History, Museum Studies or related field. Applicants with a recent degree, working toward a degree, and/or comparable work experience are encouraged. Applicants must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, and be willing to assist with all aspects of working in a busy, urban public library. Plainfield Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Available 8-12 hours/week for a total of 150 hours over the course of the semester.
- The Local History Department is open on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent research and written and oral communication skills;
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Experience with MS Office applications (Word and Excel), knowledge of databases and office equipment;
- Strength, dexterity, and mobility to perform all duties.
Send resume and cover letter to ATTN: Local History, 800 Park Avenue, Plainfield, NJ 07060 or email resume and cover letter, as attachments, to sarah.hull[@]plfdpl[dot]info.